Image Credit: [AusBody Works]
The world of automotive customization is a vast and exciting one, where enthusiasts can transform their vehicles into unique works of art. If you're the proud owner of a Subaru BRZ and you're looking to enhance its appearance and performance, a "BRZ wide body kit" might be a term you've encountered. In this comprehensive guide, we'll delve into the fascinating realm of BRZ wide body kits, exploring what they are, the benefits they offer, and the considerations you should keep in mind.
What is SUBARU BRZ Wide Body Kit?
Image Credit: [streethunter designs]
A Subaru BRZ wide body kit is an aftermarket modification designed to significantly alter the appearance of a Subaru BRZ by enhancing its width and giving it a more aggressive and eye-catching look. These kits include a set of components such as widened fenders, front and rear bumpers, side skirts, and sometimes even a rear wing or spoiler. The primary purpose of a wide body kit is to make the car look more muscular and provide additional space for wider tires and enhanced aerodynamics.
Key Components of a Subaru BRZ Wide Body Kit
Image Credit: [Nengun Performance]
- Wide Fenders: The most noticeable part of a wide body kit is the widened fenders. These fenders are designed to accommodate larger wheels and tires while giving the vehicle a broader and more aggressive stance. The additional width helps with better traction, especially during high-speed driving or track use.
- Front and Rear Bumpers: Wide body kits often include front and rear bumpers that feature more prominent and aerodynamically designed lower sections. These bumpers not only contribute to the vehicle's aggressive appearance but also improve its aerodynamics by reducing drag and increasing downforce.
- Side Skirts: Side skirts are typically included in wide body kits to complete the overall look. They run along the sides of the car, connecting the widened front and rear fenders. These components contribute to the vehicle's aesthetic appeal and can improve aerodynamics as well.
- Rear Spoilers and Wings: While not always part of the kit, some enthusiasts choose to add rear spoilers or wings to further enhance the car's appearance and aerodynamic performance. These additions can provide additional downforce to improve stability at high speeds.
Benefits of Installing a Subaru BRZ Wide Body Kit
Image Credit: [Liberty Walk]
Enhanced Aesthetics: The most apparent benefit of a BRZ wide body kit is the transformation of your car's appearance. The aggressive and wide stance can make your BRZ stand out from the crowd and turn heads wherever you go.
Improved Aerodynamics: Wide body kits are not just about looks; they can also enhance your car's aerodynamics. The wider fenders, front and rear bumpers, and side skirts are designed to reduce drag and increase downforce, which can lead to better stability and handling at higher speeds.
Wider Tires and Improved Grip: The additional space provided by wide fenders allows you to fit wider tires. Wider tires offer improved traction and handling, making your BRZ more capable in terms of performance.
Increased Resale Value: Well-executed wide body modifications can actually increase the resale value of your car. Enthusiasts are often willing to pay a premium for a BRZ with a professionally installed wide body kit.
Considerations Before Installing a Wide Body Kit
- Budget: Wide body kits vary significantly in price. You'll need to establish a budget that considers the cost of the kit itself, installation, and any additional modifications you may want to make.
- Professional Installation: Installing a wide body kit is a complex process that requires cutting, shaping, and painting. It's highly recommended to have the kit installed by a professional with experience in custom automotive work.
- Legal Considerations: Before investing in a wide body kit, research your local and state regulations regarding vehicle modifications. Some wide body kits may alter the car's dimensions to the point where they are no longer street-legal.
- Quality of the Kit: Not all wide body kits are created equal. Research different manufacturers and read reviews to ensure you're getting a quality kit that fits your Subaru BRZ correctly.
- Paint Matching: Ensure that the paint job on the wide body kit matches the rest of your car. A mismatched color can detract from the overall appearance.
- Suspension and Wheel Upgrades: Widening your car may necessitate modifications to the suspension and the purchase of wider wheels and tires. These are additional expenses to consider.
- Weight Considerations: Be aware that some wide body kits can add weight to your car, which might affect its performance. Ponder the delicate equilibrium between visual allure and dynamic prowess, ensuring it aligns perfectly with your distinctive BRZ aspirations.
- Future Maintenance: Wide body kits may require additional maintenance and care to keep them looking their best. This includes cleaning and protecting the wider fenders and other components.
Top BRZ Wide Body Kit Manufacturers
- Performance SpeedShop: Renowned for the highest quality materials, aggressive and distinctive designs, Performance Speedshop is the top name in the world of After-Market car mods and accessories. Their kits are highly sought after for their quality, unique styling and a great customer experience.
- Robot Craftsman: If you're looking for a carbon fiber wide body kit, Robot Craftsman is a very reputable source. Their kits offer a combination of style and performance. Their designs are often characterized by a subtle yet impactful approach.
Choosing the Right Wide Body Style
Image Credit: [Youtube]
Wide body kits come in various styles, from aggressive and flamboyant to subtle and sophisticated. Consider your personal taste and how the kit complements the overall design of your BRZ. Some popular styles include:
- Rocket Bunny/Pandem Style: Known for their wide and angular flares, Rocket Bunny kits provide a distinctive and bold look.
- Varis Style: Varis kits often feature a more refined and sleek design, focusing on subtlety and aerodynamic performance.
- Liberty Walk Style: Liberty Walk kits embrace the exaggerated wide body look with pronounced fender flares and a distinct 'stanced' appearance.
- Street vs. Track-Ready Kits: Some wide body kits are designed primarily for the street, while others are optimized for track use. Consider your intended usage when selecting a kit.
Paint and Finish Options
The choice of color and finish for your wide body kit is essential to achieve a seamless and professional look. Options include:
- Color Matching: To create a unified appearance, choose a color that perfectly matches your car's current paint.
- Carbon Fiber: Some kits are made from carbon fiber, which offers a unique aesthetic and is often left exposed for a raw and sporty look.
- Matte and Glossy Finishes: Decide whether a matte or glossy finish best suits your style and the rest of your car's exterior.
The Role of Wide Wheels and Tires
A wide body kit is incomplete without appropriately sized wheels and tires. Wider fenders are designed to accommodate larger wheel and tire combinations, and this pairing is crucial for both aesthetics and performance. Factors to consider include:
- Wheel Size: Ensure that the wheels you choose fit well within the widened fenders and provide the desired stance.
- Tire Width: Wider tires can improve traction and handling, especially in high-performance driving conditions.
- Offset and Spacers: Proper wheel offset and spacers may be needed to align the wheels correctly within the fenders.
Balancing Performance and Aesthetics
While wide body kits can significantly improve the aesthetics of your BRZ, it's important to maintain a balance with performance. Here are some considerations:
1, Suspension Upgrades: Lowering your car's suspension can further enhance the visual appeal and handling characteristics, but be cautious not to compromise ride quality.
- Brake and Engine Upgrades: As you enhance your BRZ's appearance and handling, consider complementary upgrades like larger brakes and engine enhancements to match the increased performance potential.
The Importance of Professional Installation
Image Credit: [Youtube]
Wide body kit installation is a complex and intricate process that demands a high level of expertise and attention to detail. It often involves a series of precise steps, including cutting and reshaping the vehicle's body panels, carefully fitting the new components, and professionally painting or finishing the kit. Here are several compelling reasons why professional installation is crucial when it comes to wide body kits:
- Precision and Expertise: Skilled installers at custom car shops possess the knowledge and experience required to execute the installation with precision. They understand the nuances of working with wide body kits and can ensure that every component is correctly aligned, fitted, and finished to perfection. This level of expertise is challenging to replicate with a DIY approach.
- Vehicle Compatibility: Not all wide body kits are the same, and compatibility with your specific make and model is critical. Professional installers can identify any potential compatibility issues and make necessary adjustments, ensuring that the kit fits your BRZ perfectly.
- Aesthetic Integrity: Achieving a seamless and harmonious appearance with a wide body kit is a top priority for most enthusiasts. Professional installers have an eye for detail and aesthetics, guaranteeing that the kit blends flawlessly with your car's original design. This attention to detail prevents any unsightly gaps, misalignments, or imperfections that could detract from the overall look.
- Quality Assurance: Reputable custom car shops take pride in their work and aim to deliver top-notch quality. They use high-quality materials, tools, and techniques to ensure the kit's durability and longevity. This focus on quality gives you peace of mind that your investment will last.
- Preservation of Factory Features: Skilled installers will take care to preserve essential factory features and functions of your BRZ. This includes ensuring that the installation doesn't interfere with items like the car's lighting, sensors, or other critical components.
- Paintwork Excellence: Wide body kit installations often involve painting or refinishing the new components to match the existing car's finish. Professional installers have the expertise to achieve a flawless paint job, ensuring that the colors and textures match seamlessly.
Maintenance and Care
Image Credit: [KoruWorks]
Once your wide body kit is installed, proper maintenance is essential to keep it looking its best. This includes:
- Regular Cleaning: Clean the kit regularly to prevent dirt and debris from accumulating, which can damage the paint or finish.
- Protection: Consider applying paint protection films or ceramic coatings to maintain the kit's appearance and protect it from the elements.
- Realignments and Adjustments: Periodically check and realign the kit as needed to ensure it stays securely attached and maintains its intended look.
When investing in a wide body kit for your BRZ and the professional installation of that kit, it's crucial to consider warranty coverage. Warranties provide peace of mind and protection for your financial investment, assuring you that the kit and the installation are backed by the manufacturer and the installer.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: Reputable wide body kit manufacturers typically stand behind the quality and durability of their products. Before making your purchase, inquire about the manufacturer's warranty. These warranties can vary in terms of coverage and duration, so it's essential to understand what is included. A manufacturer's warranty often covers defects in materials and workmanship. This means that if the kit components exhibit issues due to manufacturing defects, the manufacturer will typically repair or replace the faulty parts. Understanding the terms and conditions of the manufacturer's warranty ensures that you have recourse in case of any unexpected problems.
- Installer's Warranty: In addition to the manufacturer's warranty, professional installers may also provide their own warranty for the installation work. This warranty typically covers the labor and installation process. Like manufacturer's warranties, the installer's warranty terms can differ. When selecting an installer, it's beneficial to inquire about their warranty and its coverage. A solid installer's warranty reflects the installer's confidence in their work. If any installation-related issues arise, the warranty ensures that the installer will rectify them, often without additional costs to you.
- Choosing a Reputable Manufacturer and Installer: To maximize the benefits of warranties, it's important to select a reputable wide body kit manufacturer and a skilled installer. Established manufacturers with a track record of producing high-quality kits are more likely to honor their warranties. Likewise, experienced custom car shops that specialize in wide body kit installations are typically committed to customer satisfaction and stand by their work.
- Are wide body kits suitable for daily driving, or are they only for show cars?
Wide body kits can be suitable for daily driving if chosen and installed carefully. Some kits are designed primarily for the street, while others are optimized for track use. Consider your intended usage when selecting a kit. Proper installation and maintenance are essential for a functional and street-legal wide body modification.
- Can I join a community of wide body enthusiasts for support and inspiration?
Absolutely! Wide body kits have a dedicated enthusiast community. Consider joining online forums, social media groups, or local car clubs to connect with others who share your passion for wide body modifications. You can gain valuable insights, share experiences, and even find inspiration for your own project.
- How long does it typically take to install a wide body kit on a BRZ?
The duration of the installation process can vary based on factors like the complexity of the kit, the experience of the installer, and any additional modifications being made simultaneously. On average, installation may take several days to a week or more. It's important to discuss the timeline with your chosen installer to have a clear understanding of the expected completion date.
A BRZ wide body kit is a powerful way to transform your Subaru BRZ into a head-turning, high-performance machine. It enhances both the aesthetics and aerodynamics of your car, giving it a unique and aggressive look that sets it apart from the crowd. However, the decision to install a wide body kit should not be taken lightly. Careful planning, research, and professional installation are essential to ensure that you achieve the desired results and maintain the integrity and performance of your BRZ. With the right wide body kit and a skilled installer, your BRZ can become a true work of art on wheels, ready to dominate the streets and racetracks.